Skip to main content

Ambling over the Preamble

The other day, I was feeling all knowing about the constitution and asked my brother if he had the preamble memorized.   He said yes, then rattled it off, making only one mistake.  Instead of saying, "Do ordain and establish this constitution for the United States of America," he said "to the United States of America."   Even though it was a small mistake, it got me thinking.  One of the things that occurred to me is how there are principles in the preamble that can apply many places in life.  Not just politically but in private life as well.   Here are three examples.  


First, "Insure Domestic Tranquility."  On the average day, I don't think, "I am going to insure domestic tranquility."  I might think, "I am not going to fight with my family today."  There are many ways we can insure tranquility but there are three that we all have done at one time or another.  

We can praise our family, and do it sincerely.  Receiving an insincere compliment is worse than not getting a compliment at all.


We can validate our family.  Empathy is the highest level of validation.  Sentences like, "I can see why you feel that way," show up when we validate.


We can give thanks for our family.  When tempted to complain about our family, who always seem to be asking us to do something, can we try to give thanks instead?


Next is, "Promote the General Welfare".  I don't think just not hurting anyone is promoting general welfare.  We may not impede it, but do we promote it?  It's easy to be consumed by education, career and life.  It's not that we don't want to do good, we just procrastinate or simply don't think long enough about it.  Sometimes it's difficult to look outside of ourselves.  


A word that pops out to me, in this phrase, is general.  I love how it's not the people who are rich enough, or the people who are going to help me later on.  It's everyone.  
The last one is, "Secure the Blessings of Liberty To Ourselves and Our Posterity".  When I think about liberty I think of not being forced by the government to do something.  In a more personal setting, it changes.  Are we doing all we can, right now, to have liberty?  Do we stay away from addictive behaviors, learn to control our tempers and genuinely try to love people?  If we don't get the blessings for ourselves, it will be very difficult to secure them for our posterity.  


On our farm there is a lone walnut tree.  It's three inches tall and in the summer, had three small leaves.  My mom has planted five walnut trees, this is the only survivor.  Those of you who don't know walnut trees, let me elaborate.  A walnut tree takes fifty years to reach maturity and can grow to be seventy to a hundred feet tall.  You don't plant these trees for you, you plant them for your kids and grandkids.


We are all planting walnut trees, in a way.  The "trees" may be getting a great education or keeping your standards.  You may do service or teach a principle, through example, that really helped someone. The "trees" might be for someone else's posterity.  Ralph Waldo Emerson said,  "To leave the world a bit better... this is to have succeeded."

Even though the preamble is an introduction to a legal document, maybe it can become an inspiration for our lives.  

P.S. I wrote this essay a few years ago. There are several more walnuts on the property today. Another note, I try to post more essay and philosophical content on Thursdays, and events going on in my life on Tuesdays. Just a heads up :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein Beds

On the farm we have been working on our new no-till beds.   We started them in the spring, but we are reconstructing them.  Before we had a layer of straw on top of the dirt and then compost on top of that.  We got the compost from the county (We later discovered that the compost was unfinished.) We had two or three heads of lettuce grow in the beds this summer, nothing else would.  We think the failure was a combination of all the nitrogen being tied up in digesting the unfinished compost and the lack of direct contact between the compost and the soil.  The beds that have done the best with this compost are the ones where the compost is touching the soil.  We think the direct contact helps transfer the soil organisms.  We have been calling our struggling beds the Frankenstein beds. This fall we tore out the Frankenstein beds, tilled, then made new beds with a compost/soil mixture, and are now applying a layer of our home-made finished compost mixed with the unfinished county compo

Happy Thursday!

I wanted to share with y'all a quote that I just found that sings to my heart.  I was looking at the presenters for the Utah Farm Conference.  Vernie DeMille, one of the presenters said this in her bio, "I am the sum of my efforts and not my failures."  Isn't that beautiful?  We are planting elderberry cuttings today, fun times:) I wish you the best!  Happy Thursday!